• RSS I read the news today: All Beatle news.

  • RSS Feeds

  • Archives

  • Advertisements

Fire damages Beatle-themed restaurant.

Virginia Beach is our vacation spot we were there two years ago, and are planning to go this upcoming spring.  It is a nice spot, not as touristy as Myrtle Beach, but not as hoighty-toighty as the Outer Banks.  Prior to our first visit, I didb’t know about it being a Beatle hotbed of sorts.  The hotel we stayed in had a Beatle-themed restaurant in it, Rockfish.  There was memorabilia everywhere. 

We’ll one night we went out for dinner, and as we walked down the streets, where on each corncer a band/artist was performing,  we came upon the Abbey Road Pub and Restaurant.  It too was an all-Beatle restaurant.  Who knew, two in one city?  Well it seems that it has caught fire.  Hopefully they are able to recover some of their memorabilia, and rebuild quickly.  We had quite an enjoyable experience there.  Good luck guys, our thoughts, prayers, and support are with you!  Here’s what we’ve read.

30 p.m. Tuesday.

An electrical fire Tuesday afternoon damaged a popular Oceanfront restaurant known for its extensive collection of Beatles memorabilia.

The fire started about 2:30 p.m. at Abbey Road Pub & Restaurant at 203 22nd St. Fire Battalion Chief David Hutcheson said the blaze started while a worker with Dominion Virginia Power was installing a new electrical meter near the front entrance.

The blaze sparked when the worker dropped a bolt into the meter box, sending an electrical current up the building’s front wall, Hutcheson said.

Restaurant owner Bill Dillon was standing near the meter when, he said, it “exploded.”

“Within 30 seconds, fire was going up the wall,” Dillon said. “Black smoke was pouring out the back door. It looked like a kitchen fire.”

About 10 to 12 people were in the restaurant at the time.

Chuck Penn, a spokesman with Dominion Virginia Power, said the electrical worker suffered first-degree burns to his face and was taken to a hospital, where he was treated and released. Nobody else was hurt.

Heat from the fire melted plasma TVs and ceiling fans. Black soot blanketed the bar and dining area, including Beatles album covers, posters and autographed pictures that Dillon has collected since the 1960s.

“I’m not ready to even go through it yet,” he said. “I know I’ve lost a lot. It makes me sick.”

Dillon opened Abbey Road in 1982. He said he hoped to reopen the restaurant within two to three weeks.

Source: Pilot Online


One Response

  1. […] Pub reopens with a little help from its friends A while back we were absolutely dismayed to report that a Virginia Beach Beatles-themed establishement was gutted by a fire. Well it looks like it is […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: